On the latest episode of Grieving Out Loud, your host, Angela Kennecke, speaks with Julie Baumgard, a mother who lost her daughter Shauna to fentanyl poisoning on a day that was supposed to be a celebration: her own son’s 20th birthday.
Julie shares how her daughter Shauna battled with meth addiction but was in recovery when she tragically made a deadly mistake. She tried to buy a Percocet but unknowingly ingested fentanyl, which caused her death. Julie Baumgard speaks candidly about the pain and heartache of losing a child to fentanyl poisoning and how her family has coped with the loss. She also discusses her efforts to raise awareness about addiction and the dangers of fentanyl, a synthetic opioid that has become increasingly common in drug-related deaths.
Through Julie’s words, we gain a powerful insight into the impact of addiction on families and the urgent need to address the opioid crisis. Her story is a reminder of the importance of reducing stigma, increasing access to treatment, and supporting those struggling with substance use disorders.
To submit a memorial for a loved one lost to overdose/fentanyl poisoning visit MoreThanJustANumber.org