Death of 8-year-old boy caused by fentanyl, not an allergic reaction to strawberries

HENDERSON, Ky. – “Trey dreamed of becoming a police officer in adulthood because he loved helping others,” an online obituary for 8-year-old Trey Harris reads. “He was a fun-loving child who adored playing pranks on his mom especially and laughing.”

The Kentucky boy’s death made national news after the boy’s family told authorities that he had an allergic reaction to strawberries they bought at a school fundraiser, according to PEOPLE. The Hopkins County Health Department then issued a warning to the public to not eat any strawberries purchased at the fundraiser. The department now says that results from the FDA and state lab tested negative, and people can eat the berries.

At the same time, several news agencies, including WEHT, reported that the Kentucky State Medical Examiner’s Office had ruled the cause of Harris’ death as fentanyl intoxication.

According to the Madisonville Police Department, detectives searched Harris’ home and found a firearm, drugs, and drug paraphernalia. 

Antonio Person, courtesy of Madisonville Police Department Facebook

Harris’ stepfather, Antonio Person, faces several drug charges, including fentanyl trafficking, possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia, along with possession of a handgun by a convicted felon. PEOPLE also says Person is now charged with second-degree manslaughter and will appear in court on April 12.