Former U.S. swim champion died of accidental fentanyl poisoning

U.S. Virgin Islands – Former U.S. star swimmer Jamie Cail died of accidental fentanyl poisoning in the U.S. Virgin Islands, according to police.

The 42-year-old had a notable swimming career, achieving victory in various competitions, including earning a gold medal in the 800 free relay as part of the U.S. team during the 1997 Pan Pacific Championships.

According to the Virgin Islands Police Department, Cail died of “fentanyl intoxication with aspiration of gastric content” on February 21st. Her boyfriend found her lifeless on the floor of their St. John home when he returned from a bar shortly after midnight.

In addition to the Pan Pacific Championship, Cail also won a silver medal at the 1998-1999 FINA Swimming World Cup in Brazil in the 800 free, according to the swimming news organization SwimSwam. The athlete also won the California high school championship in the 200-meter individual medley and the 500 free, along with holding records at the legendary Bolles School in Jacksonville, Florida. She was also a member of the University of Southern California and University of Maine swim teams.

Deaths from fentanyl are skyrocketing in the U.S., with nearly 110,000 Americans dying from the potent opioid in 2022.