Parents urged to talk to kids about vapes being laced with fentanyl

Two students at a Dayton, Ohio middle school were hospitalized after using a vape pen at school. 

Emergency crews were called to the school after a student got sick from using a vape pen. Police are waiting on lab tests to determine if the vape was laced with fentanyl. 

According to the 9-1-1 call, one student was very sick,  “He has smoked something and we do not know what,” the caller said. “He is vomiting, he is lethargic― The nurse said that she’s hoping they have Narcan when they get here.”

In January of this year, a New York high school student passed out after taking a hit from a vape that was suspected to be laced with fentanyl. The student was smoking a vape that the teen thought contained marijuana. The school nurse revived the student with the opioid-reversal drug, Narcan. 

School officials are urging parents to talk with their children about the dangers of e-cigarettes and dab pens.