Robert De Niro’s daughter says fentanyl killed her son

NEW YORK – Leandro De Niro-Rodriguez, the grandson of renowned actor Robert De Niro, died from fentanyl poisoning, as revealed by his mother. Leandro’s mom, Drena, shared on Instagram that her 19-year-old son died. She wrote,” It is with immeasurable shock and sadness that we say goodbye to our beloved son Leo.” On that post, a follower asked what happened. Drena responded saying,” Someone sold him fentanyl-laced pills that they knew were laced yet still sold them to him.” After the post, many people offered their condolences and wrote how they too have lost loved ones to fentanyl. One commentator highlighted the alarming toll of fentanyl, stating that she personally knew of nine people who had succumbed to the drug within the past three months. 

Recent data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reveal a disturbing trend, with nearly 70,000 Americans losing their lives to fentanyl-related drug overdoses in 2021, marking a significant increase over the past five years. Fentanyl is now a factor in approximately two-thirds of overdose deaths. 

Despite his young age, Leandro had already made appearances in notable films such as “A Star is Born,” “The Collection,” and “Cabaret Maxime,” showcasing his talent and potential.