SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Two men have been convicted in what U.S. Attorney Alison J. Ramsdell calls “one of the largest methamphetamine conspiracies in South Dakota history.”
Christopher Spider, 45, of South Dakota, and Lance Brunsting, 56, of Colorado, were found guilty of Conspiracy to Distribute a Controlled Substance after a four-day jury trial. Spider was also convicted of Witness Tampering for attempting to intimidate a witness.
According to prosecutors, the two men, along with several others, were involved in distributing hundreds of pounds of methamphetamine across South Dakota.
Spider, a resident of the Crow Creek Indian Reservation, was linked to the distribution of approximately 30 pounds of meth on the reservation. While under indictment, he attempted to pressure a witness into changing her testimony, leading to an additional charge of Witness Tampering.
Brunsting, from Denver, Colorado, played a key role in weighing, packaging, and distributing meth. He was involved in the sale of about 100 pounds of meth, including a trip to South Dakota where he and a co-conspirator sold 41 pounds throughout the state and into Minnesota.
“The two individuals convicted last week are responsible for inflicting immeasurable harm on members of our South Dakota communities,” Drug Enforcement Administration Omaha Division Acting Special Agent in Charge Rafael Mattei said. “Their arrest and conviction should serve as a warning to drug traffickers that the combined efforts of state, local and federal law enforcement will bring those pushing these dangerous substances to justice.”
“Christopher Spider and Lance Brunsting were involved in one of the largest methamphetamine conspiracies in South Dakota history,” said U.S. Attorney Alison J. Ramsdell. “Our office was able to successfully prosecute the large-scale drug conspiracy thanks to the exceptional collaborative and investigative efforts of our federal, state, local, and tribal law enforcement partners. Last week’s convictions represent a crucial step toward bringing these individuals to justice for the roles they played in bringing hundreds of pounds of illegal narcotics into our South Dakota communities.”
A sentencing date has been scheduled for June 16, 2025. The charges carry a mandatory minimum of 10 years and up to life in custody and/or a $10,000,000 fine, a mandatory minimum of five years and up to life of supervised release, and a $100 special assessment to the Federal Crime Victims Fund.