UFC legend dies from fentanyl poisoning

UFC legend Stephan Bonnar is one of the latest celebrities to die from accidental fentanyl poisoning. In an email sent to MMA Fighting after a public records request, the Clark County, Nevada coroner’s office said the 45-year-old died from accidental fentanyl, parafluorofentanyl and mitragynine intoxication. The UFC Hall of Famer died on December 22nd in Las Vegas.

Fentanyl, a synthetic opioid, is currently the deadliest drug in the United States, leading lawmakers to propose a national emergency on fentanyl trafficking. In 2021, approximately 71,000 people lost their lives due to synthetic opioids like fentanyl, up from nearly 58,000 in 2020. Parafluorofentanyl, also referred to as “China White,” is another lethal opioid that has been linked to an increasing number of overdose deaths. Mitragynine is a compound found in Kratom, a legal herbal substance that can cause opioid and stimulant-like effects.

In September 2021, Bonnar spoke openly about his opioid usage during an interview with MMA Fighting. He disclosed that he took oxycodone legally to manage chronic injuries from his fighting and professional wrestling careers.