Warning about viral ‘chroming’ challenge that has turned deadly

From the “blackout challenge” to the “paracetamol challenge”, it can be difficult for parents to stay on top of dangerous social media trends. Now several parents are sounding the alarm about the “chroming challenge.” 

Chroming, which involves the inhalation of toxic fumes, is making international headlines after several deaths. A 13-year-old girl in Australia died last year from cardiac arrest, and according to several news sources, the teen had participated in a “chroming challenge” during a sleepover with friends. An 11-year-old boy also died because of the dangerous trend in the United Kingdom, and the New York Post reports that another mom is now warning other parents.

Mikayla Solomon said that her daughter almost died after inhaling several cans of deodorant. In addition to deodorant, other popular chroming chemicals include nail polish remover, hairspray, and permanent markers.

“Parents need to know the dangers,” Solomon told the New York Post. “If you think your child has done this, get them checked. It can cause long-term damage.”

Solomon said that she also thinks social media companies need to do a better job of preventing these dangerous challenges.

“She’s 12, so she shouldn’t really be on [social media], but all their friends are so they’re going to see these trends, but [the platforms] need to crack down on it,” Solomon told the New York Post.