Initial toxicology: Matthew Perry did not have meth or fentanyl in his system

LOS ANGELES – Initial toxicology tests indicate that the death of “Friends” actor Matthew Perry was not caused by a fentanyl or meth overdose, according to several news outlets, including the New York Post.

As previously reported by Emily’s Hope earlier this week, the 54-year-old actor was found unresponsive in a hot tub. Although the initial toxicology report did not detect any presence of fentanyl or meth in Perry’s system, TMZ has reported that more comprehensive tests are currently underway. It is expected to take several months to establish the official cause of death.

Matthew Perry, renowned for his portrayal of Chandler in “Friends,” is also remembered for his candid discussions about his battle with substance use disorder. In his 2022 memoir, “Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing,” Perry chronicled his lifelong struggle with substance use disorder. His narrative revealed that his struggle with alcohol addiction started at the age of 14 when he drank alcohol for the first time. Furthermore, at the age of 26, Perry found himself grappling with opioid addiction after physicians prescribed Vicodin to treat an injury he sustained during the filming of “Fools Rush In.” Perry disclosed that he underwent approximately 15 rehab stints and spent an estimated $9 million in attempts to overcome his addiction to drugs and alcohol.

Despite his well-documented history of substance use disorder, those close to the star, as reported by TMZ, attest that Perry was sober and “never happier” at the time of his death.